7 ways to take back control!
Whether it be in the gym, a fitness class, a group session, a running group or even running solo; trying to get fit can be extremely daunting! To some; the very thought of it can so terrifying they avoid it altogether.
Let’s look at why getting in shape can be so scary for some people!
It all boils down to that self-conscious, confidence vanishing feeling we can all get when we’re put in an intimidating situation. Suddenly we don’t know anyone, they all seem to look amazing, they all appear to know what they are doing, and they all look as if they know each other. Yes, that kind of situation can certainly feel a little uncomfortable. Its awkward yes but it won’t always be like that, so let’s take control and beat this anxiety and get in fantastic shape! We’ve put together a few tips that should help you gain control again and beat the fear of intimidation and gain your confidence back.
1. Plan your training programme in advance. Know what you are going to do when you get there! If it’s a class you don’t have to worry, maybe plan what you are going to wear instead! If it’s the gym, plan your workout and stick to it. Once you have been a few times, you will have gained a little confidence to mix it up a bit.
2. Speak to the Instructor when you get there! Make yourself known; become part of that family you don’t feel a part of quite yet. Once you speak to the leading person, they will talk to you during the session and start to involve you more. They’ll get to know your name and get it out there! The regulars will begin to recognise you and welcome you into the group in no time.
3. Take a friend with you. Organise to join fitness groups or gyms together, so you don’t feel so isolated.
4. SMILE! Smiling is infectious! We love it! You smile at someone and most of the time they will smile back. That’s it, you have a connection! Say hello to people, it works, they will greet you back and they will remember you as the nice smiley one. They will then want to know your name and make efforts to get to know you. Everyone loves a happy soul.
5. Focus on your workout. If you are working hard, you won’t notice anyone looking at you. You will be concentrating too much on breathing and getting to the end and trust us, if you work hard and enjoy it, that workout will be over before you know it! Get in that zone!
6. If you really do struggle with crowds, try and go at off-peak times. If it’s the gym, find the least busy times and go then. Pop some headphones in and listen to your favourite workout tracks on full blast! If it’s a class, go for the ones with the most availability. If it’s outdoor fitness, go when it’s raining (ha-ha…sorry but it’s true! The majority don’t enjoy getting wet and muddy)! You can start off by mixing in amongst the little crowds and then when you feel more comfortable then expand out of your comfort zone into the peak times! Training in large groups can be invigorating! You meet so many different people! We have a fantastic example of this with our regular Bootcamp members! They pushed through any insecurities they may have had at the beginning and are now super fit and super confident! They continue to train at Bootcamp and have since joined other fitness groups. They even take part in challenging weekend events…all with the amazing friends that they met through Bootcamp UK. It will be the same anywhere, just take that leap of faith and trust in that confidence of yours, it will never fail you.
7. Believe in yourself! You are your only competition.